Matt Sinclair’s Perfect Chilli Oil Recipe
Matt has shared one of his household staples that he puts on absolutely anything! Avocado toast in the morning? Fried eggs? A delicious plate of noodles? A steaming bowl of Laksa? We promise this will be your new favourite way to spice up even the most simple of dishes.
“This recipe is the king of condiments in my household…it covers all bases and is utterly delicious!” – Matt Sinclair
If you love Asian cuisine as much as we do, you need to try this recipe for yourself – you can even add it to our 3 new dishes by Matt Sinclair for an extra flavour kick. Our hottest tip is a generous spoonful on your Thai Coconut Curry, trust us – you’ll never eat it any other way!
Let’s get into it!
- 1.5 cups oil – you’ll need a neutral flavoured oil such as vegetable, canola, peanut or grapeseed oil. Other options such a olive oil and the trendy avocado oil are not good options for chilli oil. Both oils have a lower smoke point and will harden in the fridge, making them unsuitable for this recipe.
- 1 bulb garlic
- 3/4 cup chili flakes – you will need Sichuan chili flakes for best results. Avoid regular crushed red pepper flakes as they do not provide the same kick. You can find in the spice section at Asian grocery stores.
- Salt – necessary to bring out the flavour of all the spices and aromatics!
- Spices (optional) – 5 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 bay leaves, 3 tbs Sichuan peppercorns.
- Combine your garlic, spices and oil in a sauce pan over medium heat and let the oil rise to around 110-120c or when you see small bubbles rising.
- Infuse the oil for 30 minutes. Make sure that the oil does not get too hot, if its starts bubbling vigorously lower the heat to a slow simmer.
- When the garlic is brown all over, remove them from the oil to prevent them from burning too much.
- While your oil is infusing, add your chilli flakes to a heatproof bowl.
- Once the oil has infused, pour it over the chilli flakes carefully through a sieve to catch your spices.
- Once the oil has cooled, stir in your salt and the reserved garlic. As a final touch, add to a nice jar.
Try Matt’s Chilli Oil on his P’Nut dishes
Order online today
Want to cosy up on your couch and still enjoy your street food favourites from one of the best Asian restaurants? Delivered in our signature black and red noodle boxes, you can order online today and dig into some of the best Asian food that Brisbane, The Sunshine Coast and Sydney has to offer.
Find your local P’Nut Street Noodles
With 11 location across the East Coast, we sure feel the love from our local residents. With kitchens open and woking in Brisbane, Sydney and The Sunshine Coast we are the go-to Asian restaurant in Balmain, Dee Why, Kawana, Norwest, Penrith, Rouse Hill, The Rocks, Southbank, Sydney Olympic Park, Windsor and Zetland.
Have questions or compliments about our delicious street food? Feel free to contact us. We’d love to hear from you!